home insurance
first time buyers mortgage

Protecting your home

Whether you want to insure your home, your belongings, or both, we will find the right cover to suit your needs when the unexpected happens. While we hope it doesn't happen, it's nice to have peace of mind in case it does. We can help you select the right policy for your home and contents by explaining what you need to know before you buy insurance.

We can assist you in getting the right cover to protect your home and your treasured possessions from a wide range of unexpected events. If you’d like to explore your specific home insurance options, or simply check if you have the right level of coverage in place, please feel free to schedule a free consultation.

Why choose us

  • Rated as excellent 4.98/5 on reviews.co.uk
  • 100% of reviewers recommend GHL Direct.

Expert advice in 3 simple steps

Book a fee free call

Scheduling a meeting with a home insurance advisor takes under 30 seconds, all from the comfort of your own home

We'll call you back

Your insurance advisor will call to guide you through the process of protecting your home and its contents.

And guide you through

With a friendly, knowledgeable home insurance advisor by your side, we’ll help you every step of the way.


Home insurance explained

Home and contents insurance policies cover your home and your treasured possessions. You may also know this type of insurance as buildings and contents insurance, they are both same type of policy.

Contents insurance protects your household goods and personal possessions, such as electrical goods, jewellery, clothes and furniture. You can usually add various options to your contents insurance.

Buildings insurance covers the building itself against things like fire or flood It will also cover permanent or fitted fixtures and fittings in your home and garden, and any outbuildings that form part of your home

The house you live in is one of the most valuable possessions you own. Your home contains all your belongings, memories, and comforts. Therefore, ensuring it is fully secured is one of the most important things you can do.

Even with the most comprehensive security protection measures in place, we know that theft, damage, and natural disasters will always be a possibility. There are many ways in which these things can affect us and destroy our homes. Home insurance will protect your home from any of these issues.

Taking out home insurance is not legally required, but lenders may ask that you take out buildings cover if you wish to obtain a mortgage or remortgage.

mortgage advisor
of reviewers recommend GHL Direct

Applying for home insurance

The right insurer and choosing quality over cost are just two of the factors to consider when you are looking for the right kind of insurance cover for home and its contents..
  • What is an insurance advisor

    GHL Direct home insurance brokers are regulated financial advisors who specialize in general insurance. Their goal is to help you determine what type of insurance and level of coverage you need and recommend a policy that fits your budget. If your insurance needs are complex, their professional opinion can be invaluable.

  • How to apply for home insurance

    Book a home insurance consultation with one of our advisors in less than 30 seconds. Our goal is to make the process as easy as possible for you to find the right insurance policy. You can book a time and date using our live booking form, and then select home insurance as your product. We will call you back to discuss your options.

  • Insure valuables separately

    There are two types of personal possessions: specified and unspecified. Unspecified possessions will be covered up to a specific limit. If you have items worth more than this limit, you will need to declare each item individually, by making them `specified possessions’ for example an engagement ring.

  • Portable possessions?

    If you take valuable items away from your home regularly, you should consider personal possessions cover (sometimes referred to as ‘all risks’ cover). When travelling abroad, items such as gadgets, watches and jewellery won’t be covered
    under a standard contents policy – unless you specifically select `worldwide cover’ as an option. If you have children heading off to university, you should check whether or not your policy automatically covers them for the possessions they take with them.

  • What about my excesses?

    If you file a claim, you have to pay an excess as the first part of your claim that you have to pay. In the event that you increase your excess, you may be able to lower your insurance premiums.

  • Quality versus cost

    The old saying ‘you get what you pay for’ can sometimes be true when it comes to insurance policies. It might be tempting to go with the cheapest premium you can find, but are you confident your insurer will be there when you need them? If you’re unfortunate enough to have to claim on your insurance, the last thing you’ll want is a nasty surprise when you contact your insurer.

  • Home emergency services

    Some policies will offer the option of buying ‘Home Emergency Service’ cover. Your utility provider may have approached you on more than one occasion to encourage you to take out a similar standalone policy. It will cover you for a specified amount towards repairs to your boiler or plumbing system. As such, it offers valuable cover, but it may work out cheaper to add it to your home
    insurance as an additional option (rather than purchasing it as a standalone policy).

View our free guides for an easy to read introduction on the insurance services we offer.
Home Insurance AdviceFamily Insurance AdviceBusiness InsuranceConsumer Mortgage Advice

Rated as excellent

Trusted home insurance support from recommendation to application and beyond. Once we identify the right product and assuming you’re happy with our recommendation, we’ll work with you to complete the application forms and stay in touch throughout the process – and into the future.

Protecting the things you love